Introduction to eMMC-“embedded MultiMediaCard”:
Usability of eMMC:
Smaller hardware than a typical postage stamp, tiny footprint and cost-effectiveness of eMMC storage renders it ideal for a market of multiple devices, including smartphones, tablets, budget PCs, laptop, smart home appliances, smart TVs, wearable technology, electronic learning products, eBook readers, infotainment, wearable technology digital setup boxes and cameras. Apart from its use in consumer products, eMMC is swiftly being appropriated in many other industrial and automotive embedded applications, such as robotics, GPS systems, Single Board Computers (SBC), medical devices, networking, building control devices, aerospace, defense, healthcare, public, Information technology, telecom, CCTV, surveillance, home automation, Light Vehicle Display, Agricultural machinery and point-of-sale systems because of its small-scale size, stunted power consumption and several intensified features. Furthermore, eMMC is also uncovering a path in IoT applications with the expeditious growth of the IoT market. The surge in the rise of electronic devices and the high demand for integrated memory in mobile computing devices has boosted the development of the global embedded multimedia card market. According to Global Info Research’s latest study, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the global Embedded Multimedia Card (eMMC) market is estimated to be worth US$ 6328.8 million in 2022. It is forecasted to reach US$ 7513 million by 2028 with a growing positive CAGR of 2.9%.
FLEXXON conjures up a compact storage solution: embedded MultiMediaCard!
Functionality of FLEXXON’s eMMC:
Significant Features of FLEXXON’s eMMC:
- Tailor-made firmware: The firmware warrants the use of eMMC according to the nature of the application.
- Highly Integrated eMMC Solution: Exceptional storage capacity of 4GB to 512GB supports an extensive temperature range of -25°C ~ 85°C.
- Packaged Design: Compact-sized storage device to meet various applications’ high reliability and high-performance needs.
- Data Integrity in Reflow: Leverage strong pages from NAND flash, and prevent data loss in the reflow process.
- Dynamic Wear Leveling: To guarantee data integrity during movement, dynamic wear leveling could concentrate the write/erase only on the dynamic block.
- Auto Read Refresh: Good for read-intensive applications. Firmwares will auto-refresh the bit errors approaching the pre-set threshold level.
- Write Reliability: After sudden power loss and the subsequent power on, eMMC will scan the buffer block until the last programmed page. If an ECC Uncorrectable or higher ECC error bit occurs, FW will stop scanning and discard these pages, then copy valid data to a new buffer block to save the data enhancing write protection.
- System Block Protection: System information is stored in the SLC area for better robustness. During sudden power loss, the FW recognizes data loss in UECC pages. The system block protects those pages from being discarded and moves the valid data into a healthy block.
- Advanced NAND management: RoHS Compliance ensures superior quality NAND management, and controlled BOM ensures consistent performance.
- SMART: FLEXXON’s eMMC supports the Linux command to read the SMART information and monitor the health and remaining life of the eMMC to avoid critical failures.